7 New Year Escapes from Hyderabad
With the New Year around the corner, I have compiled a list of beautiful places where you can reach overnight to celebrate your new year. I have not included Goa in this list as it features on every single list. I have compiled places where I have gone personally except for Tadoba, and Horsley Hill where I have taken inputs from my friends who have visited it some time back, but both are on my to visit list in near future. So here is my list of 7 new year escapes from Hyderabad. All APTDC hotels can be booked online.
- Vizag or Vishakhapatnam: Only an overnight journey by train or a short flight from Hyderabad Vizag is the favorite beach destination for the Hyderabadis. The beaches are beautiful if you go out of town towards Rushikonda. There is an APTDC Haritha in Rushikonda where you can try your luck to get a booking as it is right on the beach on top of a small hill with excellent view of the beach and you can actually walk from your hotel to the beach. Plan a day trip to Araku valley and Borra cave and enjoy some freshly brewed coffee on way from coffee grown in Eastern Ghats of Andhra Pradesh. You will pass through some tribal Haats and can buy some herbal products from there. Smart travel tip for the foodies: Try the Bamboo Chicken a tribal specialty from Araku Valley.
- Srisailam: Only about 210 KM from Hyderabad and for the religiously minded Srisailam is a leisurely drive in the hills. Not much action but if you are looking for a peaceful bonfire on the New Years Eve look no further. You don’t have many choices in accommodation so try and book APTDC Haritha. During the day you can visit the reservoir and take breathtaking pictures from the rope-way.
- Nagarjuna Sagar: Less than 200 KM from Hyderabad, Sagar as it is popularly called is the favorite outstation destination of the techies in Hyderabad. The drive is smooth and though you can return the same day, but why not spend the New Year overlooking the vast Nagarjuna Sagar which is the largest man-made masonry dam. Enjoy a boat ride to the island in the middle of the reservoir where ancient Buddhist relics were found.
Smart travel tip: Do not miss the Ethipothala Falls close by which should be in decent shape considering the good rains this year. You have a few options to stay near Nagarjuna Sagar again the best view is from the Haritha Hotel hotel right on the bank of the dam. ( The hotel is just OK, but the views are good )
- Tadoba National Park: For the wildlife enthusiastic one of the best option is Tadoba National Park close to the Chandrapur, it is about 400 KM from Hyderabad and you will be able to reach between 6-8 hours depending on the traffic and route you take. There are many hotels to suit all budgets near the sanctuary. Please make sure you do not blare music when close to the sanctuary as animals don’t enjoy the loud sounds. If you don’t want to drive you can take a train to Nagpur and increasing your option to visit Pench if Tadoba does not have hotels available. Pench and Tadoba are practically in the continuation and the part in MP is called Pench while in Maharastra is called Tadoba. For both Pench and Tadoba, you can take a train to Nagpur or Chandrapur.
- Hampi: About 400 Km from Hyderabad it is a good drive or you can take overnight Volvo to reach there. It is a backpacker’s delight and once in Hampi you can soak in the history of a place that has some of the most magnificent ruins of the Vijayanagar empire. The sacred center of Virupaksha temple is one of the oldest continuously worshiped temples in the country. Enjoy traditional food overlooking the Tungabhadra River at Under The mango tree. Climb to the birthplace of Hanuman to welcome a sunrise.
- Horsley hills: I would recommend you take a train to Horsley hills unless you have more than 1 driver as it is almost 550 KM from Hyderabad and more suited for people from Chennai and Bangalore. It is a peaceful hill station with a beautiful view and wonderful walks in the woods. You would enjoy the sound of wind rustling the leaves of the magnificent trees, some of which are more than hundred years old.
- Ananthagiri hills: Less than 3 hrs from IT hub of Hyderabad Ananthagiri hills offer a peaceful destination close to the city. You have options to stay on top of the valley with APTD hotel with a nice pool and bonfires arranged on request. During the day visit the Anantha Padmanabha Swamy temple and the Nagasamudram Lake and in evening enjoy the bonfire gazing the clear sky.
The Nagasamudram Lake in Ananthagiri Hills
But if you are not planning to go out of the town try the various Resorts around Hyderabad: There are N numbers of resorts around Hyderabad that will be organizing new year bash like every year. If you are the partying type book in advance at any one of them. They are all within I-1.5hrs from the city still gives you a feeling of visiting outstation. Some of the famous resorts around Hyderabad are Golconda, Leonia, Pragathi, Lahiri, the Novotel airport and hotel in Shamshabad and the Ramoji film city with its hotels Tara and Sitara.
So what are your plans for new year my friends from Hyderabad? Did I miss your favorite destination please write it in a comment for the benefit of our other readers? The idea for this post came from Pattu Raj when she pinged me on Facebook to check some places to visit around Hyderabad, she blogs at Gardner at 60.
For more travel options within and around Hyderabad check this post: Places to visit Hyderabad
I promise that I will not sell, rent, or donate your email to anybody
🙂 🙂 🙂